World Mission Sunday
We celebrate World Mission Sunday with the entire Universal Church in response to the Gospel invitation to solidarity with all the world’s peoples, especially those most in need of the Good News of God’s love.
In the Acts of the Apostles Jesus tells his disciples just before his Ascension into heaven, “You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8). Pope Francis reflects on this, “every Christian is called to be a missionary and witness to Christ. And the Church, the community of Christ’s disciples, has no other mission than that of bringing the Gospel to the entire world by bearing witness to Christ. To evangelize is the very identity of the Church.”
Throughout our world, mission dioceses strive with limited resources to follow the model of Jesus. He calls upon the people of faith in the Archdiocese of Chicago to generously join in prayerful and financial support for this annual celebration.
Thank you for your participation in the World Mission Sunday celebration. Please click the button below to donate.
- Poster (English/Spanish | English/Polish)
- Letter from Cardinal Cupich (English | Spanish | Polish)
- Bulletin Ads
- Bulletin Article and Announcements (English | Spanish | Polish)
- Social Media Post
- World Mission Sunday Video
- Prayer of the Faithful (English | Spanish | Polish)
- World Mission Rosary (English | Spanish | Polish)
- Litany of Missionary Saints (English | Spanish | Polish)
- World Mission Meditation on the Saints
BLESSED PAULINE JARICOT
Foundress of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith
- Biography (English | Spanish)
- Prayers (English | Spanish)
- Lessons from Her Life (English | Spanish)
- Prayer Card
- “Heart of a Missionary: The Story of Pauline Jaricot” Film
- Background of World Mission Sunday (English | Spanish)
- 2022 Message of Pope Francis (English | Spanish | Polish)
- Pope Francis Message to Pontifical Mission Societies (English | Spanish)
- 2023 Mission Coop Plan Parish Preference Form
- Child Education Resource Order Form
- More Resources for Child Mission Education
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE MISSIONARY CHURCH
- Pontifical Mission Societies of the USA
- Agenzia Fides (News from Mission Churches) (English | Spanish)
- ONE Magazine of Catholic Near East Welfare Association
Collection envelopes and posters have been mailed directly to each parish. Please utilize the collection envelopes, ask your community to make checks out to the parish, or make online donations through the parish system. If no other online option exists, donors can give through our World Mission Sunday online form.
- About 75% of the collection supports over 1,000 mission dioceses through the Pontifical Mission Societies, particularly in the rapidly growing churches of Africa and Asia, as well as under resourced parts of Latin America and the Pacific Islands.
- 9% of the collection supports the work of the Catholic Near East Welfare Association, which works to alleviate poverty and affirm human dignity, build up the church and promote Christian unity and interreligious dialogue in the Middle East, Northeast Africa, India and Eastern Europe.
- Approximately 15% of the WMS supports the operations of the Global Mission Office, which is funded entirely through this collection and the Summer Mission Co-op.
- The World Mission Sunday (WMS) Collection is recommended to be held on the second-to-last weekend of October.
- The Global Mission Office will mail to each parish:
- A letter from Cardinal Blase J. Cupich encouraging participation (in English, Polish, and Spanish),
- Copies of a poster to promote awareness of the collection (bilingual English/Spanish and English/Polish),
- Bulletin announcements and other promotional materials (in English, Polish, and Spanish),
- Liturgical helps to foster missionary spirit during the weekend services (in English, Polish, and Spanish), and
- A remittance card and return envelope for processing the collection.
- How to encourage participation:
- Share the Cardinal’s letter with your congregation,
- Include announcements and WMS images in your parish bulletin, social media and/or website,
- Hang the posters supplied by the Global Mission Office in prominent locations,
- Include intentions for our global neighbors and missionaries in your Prayer of the Faithful, and
- Contact the Global Mission Office to arrange a special WMS speaker.
- After the collection is taken up, it is deposited into the parish account following best practices.
- The parish prepares and sends a check to the Global Mission Office. It should be made payable to “The Society for the Propagation of the Faith” with “WMS-(year)” in the memo line. Please use the grey remittance card and mail checks to Global Mission Office, 3525 S. Lake Park Ave. Chicago, IL 60653.
- It’s very important that the Global Mission Office receive your donation by December 31. The financial year of the Global Mission Office ENDS IN DECEMBER each year. The office must report our donations to the national office of the Pontifical Mission Societies by the end of the calendar year.
If you need additional materials, please feel free to contact the Global Mission Office.