World Mission Sunday
World Mission Sunday (WMS) is celebrated throughout the Universal Church in response to the Gospel invitation to solidarity with all the world’s peoples, especially those most in need of the Good News of God’s love.
In the Acts of the Apostles St. Peter and St. John tell the leaders in Jerusalem, “We cannot but speak about what we have seen and heard.” (Acts 4:20) Pope Francis reflects on this statement, “As Christians, we cannot keep the Lord to ourselves: the Church’s evangelizing mission finds outward fulfilment in the transformation of our world and in the care of creation.”
Throughout our world, mission dioceses strive with limited resources to follow the model of Jesus, even during a global pandemic. We call upon the Catholics in the Archdiocese of Chicago to generously join in prayerful and financial support through this annual second collection.
Thank you for your support to the World Mission Sunday collection.
Please click the button below to donate.
- Poster (English/Spanish | English/Polish)
- Bulletin Ads
- Social Media Post (link)
- “We Cannot But Speak” World Mission Video (English | Spanish)
- Letter from Cardinal Cupich (English | Spanish | Polish)
- Bulletin Article and Announcements (English | Spanish | Polish)
- Prayer of the Faithful (English | Spanish | Polish)
- 2022 Mission Coop Plan Parish Preference Form (link)
- Message of Pope Francis (English | Spanish | Polish)
- Key Quotes from Message of Pope Francis (English | Spanish)
- Child Education Resource Order Form
- More Resources for Children’s Education on Mission (link)
- Speak About the Pope’s Missions (English/Spanish)
- Agenzia Fides (News from Mission Churches) (English | Spanish)
- ONE Magazine of the Catholic Near East Welfare Association (link)
- World Mission Rosary (English | Spanish)
- About 75% of the collection supports over 1,000 mission dioceses through the Pontifical Mission Societies, particularly in the rapidly growing churches of Africa and Asia, as well as under resourced parts of Latin America and the Pacific Islands.
- 9% of the collection supports the work of the Catholic Near East Welfare Association, which works to alleviate poverty and affirm human dignity, build up the church and promote Christian unity and interreligious dialogue in the Middle East, Northeast Africa, India and Eastern Europe.
- Approximately 15% of the WMS supports the operations of the Global Mission Office, which is funded entirely through this collection and the Summer Mission Co-op.
- The World Mission Sunday (WMS) Collection is recommended to be held on the second-to-last weekend of October.
- The Global Mission Office will mail to each parish:
- A letter from Cardinal Blase J. Cupich encouraging participation (in English, Polish, and Spanish),
- Copies of a poster to promote awareness of the collection (bilingual English/Spanish and English/Polish),
- Bulletin announcements and other promotional materials (in English, Polish, and Spanish),
- Liturgical helps to foster missionary spirit during the weekend services (in English, Polish, and Spanish), and
- A remittance card and return envelope for processing the collection.
- How to encourage participation:
- Share the Cardinal’s letter with your congregation,
- Include announcements and WMS images in your parish bulletin, social media and/or website,
- Hang the posters supplied by the Global Mission Office in prominent locations,
- Include intentions for our global neighbors and missionaries in your Prayer of the Faithful, and
- Contact the Global Mission Office to arrange a special WMS speaker.
- After the collection is taken up, it is deposited into the parish account following best practices.
- The parish prepares and sends a check to the Global Mission Office. It should be made payable to “The Society for the Propagation of the Faith” with “WMS-(year)” in the memo line. Please use the grey remittance card and mail checks to Global Mission Office, 3525 S. Lake Park Ave. Chicago, IL 60653.
- It’s very important that the Global Mission Office receive your donation by December 31. The financial year of the Global Mission Office ENDS IN DECEMBER each year. The office must report our donations to the national office of the Pontifical Mission Societies by the end of the calendar year.
If you need additional materials, please feel free to contact the Global Mission Office.