Director of Music – full time
St. Thomas of Villanova Parish
1201 East Anderson Drive
Palatine, IL 60074
An active, vibrant Parish of 2500 families in Cook County, Illinois, St. Thomas of Villanova Parish in Palatine is accepting applications for the full-time salaried position of Director of Music. The successful candidate will be prepared to plan, lead and participate in liturgical music at all weekend Masses, all School Masses, and other Parish & School Liturgies,for example, holy days, retreats, missions, communal reconciliations, sacramental celebrations, Religious Education Liturgies and prayer services.
All choirs, current and future, and all musicians, will all be under your direction. Gather 3 (GIA) and other appropriate music form the basis of the Parish repertoire. A candidate with excellent musical and organizational skills, spiritual leadership qualities and experience will be a good fit for this position. St. Thomas highly values the congregational participation in all our sacred Liturgies.
This is a pastoral staff-level position with appropriate responsibilities reporting directly to the pastor. The Music Director will be responsible for preparation of worship aids, copyright reporting, and maintenance of our music library and instruments. Weddings, funerals, and other special rites will provide additional opportunities for you and other Parish musicians. Full Pastoral Staff collaboration with the Director of Music is essential. It forms the foundation of how we work together at St. Thomas.
Bachelor’s degree or better in Performance on Piano or Voice (or other instrument), Music Education, Liturgical Music or related field is required. A minimum of 3 years’ experience as Director of Music in a Parish setting is required. Demonstration of piano and vocal skills will be required. Familiarity and experience in the Roman Catholic spiritual and liturgical life are a must. Comfort level with communication and social media, common computer programs and music writing programs are a plus. Background check and Virtus training are required of all Parish employees. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2018. Salary will be commensurate with experience and education according to Archdiocesan guidelines.
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for further consideration. Any video links to performances/ celebrations where you are demonstrating your skills would be appreciated.
Complete Job Description
The Director of Music is a person of faith whose ministry embodies the effective planning, coordination and implementation of appropriate music for Catholic Worship.
- Plans and provides music and musicians for all Parish Liturgies.
- Ensures the selection of music is appropriate to the Scripture texts and prayers.
- Invites, welcomes and encourages participation of Parishioners with varying experience and musical talent to be part of the music of Mass.
- Actively involved in and present at all Liturgical Planning meetings. Collaborates and communicates with the Pastor on Liturgical planning & preparation.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in Liturgy and music and directs music ministers in available training workshops and formational opportunities.
- Provides effective leadership and communications.
- Ensures that liturgical music planning is done in a seasonal and timely fashion.
- Directs, rehearses, recruits and builds the groups of instrumentalists, cantors and all Parish choirs.
- Is creative and employs a variety of musical styles, honoring the traditions, while expanding the repertoire of music in the Parish.
- Works as an active member of the Pastoral Staff and is committed to working as a team member.
- Supports the Pastor’s vision and communicates and collaborates well with the Pastor.
- Promotes good public relations both within and beyond the Parish and is committed to working with the Parish grouping, deanery and Archdiocesan network of professional peers.
- Is involved and supportive of the Parish mission and ministries.
- Serves as a resource consultant for Parish concerns regarding music and Liturgy and has a clear understanding of the role of liturgy and music in worship.
- Is a person of faith who embodies stewardship as a way of life.
- Is expected to be present in the Parish office during normal business hours and other times as necessitated by the position. An office will be provided.
- Develops and manages the music budget in collaboration with the Business Manager and Pastor.
- Is a good steward of all the Parish’s musical and sound equipment, insuring that all Parish components are properly cared for, secured and maintained as required. Maintains the music library.
- Prepares liturgical worship aids and scripts as needed, obtaining copyright permission and licenses as appropriate.
- Desire and ability to foster the spiritual growth of the Parish.
- Effective leadership, organizational and communication skills.
- Undergraduate degree in music, theological studies, or a related field required.
- Prior experience as a Music Director in a Parish setting required.
- Strong keyboard and vocal skills.
- Solid vocal and choral training and directing skills. Cantor skills a plus.
- Working knowledge of the church’s liturgical documents and the proper role of music in the Liturgy.
- A committed team player, faith filled, honest, respectful, flexible, and eager to join a Parish team to achieve Parish goals.
- 2 Digital keyboards
- 2 Octave Hand Bell Set Large
- Extensive Music Repertoire /Gather 3
Salary & Benefits
Salary & benefits for full-time salaried employees are in accordance with guidelines stated by the Archdiocese of Chicago. Stipends for Weddings are extra to the salary.
Date listed: 5-10-18