Our office is deeply committed to supporting as many Catholic missionary dioceses, congregations, organizations, and groups as possible. In general, we consider requests for three types of mission support:
- Projects, initiatives, and programs with clearly defined needs and objectives,
- Mass stipends to support diocesan and religious ministry, and
- Liturgical supplies for visiting missionaries
Must support ministries and programs in mission territories of high need outside of the United States.
Must be accompanied by an original letter from a bishop or religious superior acknowledging and supporting the request, project, or organization.
Unless the requestor is a bishop or religious superior, requests must include a letter or statement of certification attesting to the requestor’s good standing. See the Statement of Certification form here.
A US contact who can receive checks on behalf of the request is highly preferred. If no US contact is available, a wire transfer may be necessary. All requests should include a completed Payment Information Form .
We are only able to accept one request per ministry, per year.
We encourage all requesting dioceses, congregations, and organizations to also apply for participation in our Missionary Cooperation Plan (MCP).
The Mission Office makes one-time gifts in support of projects, initiatives, and programs with clearly defined needs and objectives. Recipients of these funds should demonstrate sustainability in the overall initiative, for example, through:
- The committed presence of diocesan, religious, and /or lay personnel at the mission site, as well as
- Revenue independent of the Mission Office for ongoing operational costs, such as lay personnel salaries, facilities maintenance, and program delivery
Specific Guidelines for Project Support:
- Responds to an expressed need, concern, or aspiration within the community being supported.
- Demonstrates sustainability.
- Includes an itemized budget.
- Includes a projected timeframe for the development and implementation of the project, initiative, or program.
- Identifies parties responsible for carrying out the steps necessary for implementation.
- Details how program success will be evaluated, and by whom.
- Identifies all other funding sources that have been explored and secured.
For construction projects, funds can be pledged in advance but only released when/if 75 percent of the total project cost has been pledged. Within one year of the date of the pledge, the requesting cause must provide an updated accounting and fundraising timeline to maintain the pledge of Mission Office funding support.
These funds support diocesan and religious priests in mission dioceses, provinces, or territories. Requests will be considered on a rolling basis as they are received.
Specific Guidelines for Mass Requests:
- Must be in support of priests able and willing to celebrate Masses on behalf of donor intentions.
- Should indicate the specific countries/provinces in which the priests being supported live and serve.
- Should indicate the number of priests which the stipends are requested to support.
The Missions Office can provide a variety of liturgical supplies to help celebrate and administer the Holy Eucharist. Contact the Mission Office to learn more about our offerings and to make a request.
Liturgical supplies are only disbursed in person. The Mission Office does not ship liturgical supplies domestically or internationally.