Director of Music – part time
Saint Mary of Gostyn Catholic Church
Downers Grove, IL
Pastor – Rev. James Schwab
The Parish of Saint Mary of Gostyn is located in suburban Downers Grove, Illinois. It has 2600 registered families with a school enrollment of 482 students and a religious education program of 500 youth. There are five Masses on the weekend: the anticipatory Mass on Saturday at 4 p.m.; Sunday morning at 8 a.m., 10 a.m., 12 p.m.; and Sunday evening at 6 p.m.
The Director of Music, reporting to the Pastor, is responsible for assisting parishioners in the worship through sacred music in the liturgical life of the parish. The director must demonstrate strong leadership skills necessary to identify, develop, and retain volunteer accompanists, cantors, and choir members. Additionally, the director is responsible for the appropriate, proportional, and necessary integration of technology with the liturgical rites.
Essential Job Functions
- Direct the volunteer cantors, accompanists, and choir members to ensure all liturgies are scheduled, well-planned, rehearsed, and reverent.
- Maintain the equipment, instruments, and resources for liturgical music.
- Introduce and implement the appropriate, proportional, and necessary use of technology, for example, livestreaming or electronic hymnal boards.
- Previous experience in participating and leading parish music ministry.
- Experience in choral conducting.
- Demonstrated ability in a musical specialization, including the organ, piano, and voice.
- Desire and ability to instruct and form volunteer cantors, accompanists, and choirs.
- Availability to work weekends, evenings, and weekdays as needed, especially for Masses, weddings, and funerals.
The individual will be subject to a criminal background check, and will also be required to attend a Protecting God’s Children workshop in accordance with USCCB and Diocesan policy.
For additional information or to apply for the position, please contact Fr. James Schwab, Pastor, at [email protected]. Please include a resume, three references, and a letter of interest. Part Time, no benefits.
Date listed: 7-1-20