Adult Faith Formation
“For by the Sacrament of Confirmation, [the baptized] are more perfectly bound to the church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence, they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed.” (LG 11; cf. Rite of Confirmation, Introduction 2)
The Archdiocese of Chicago, through the Office of Lifelong Formation, encourages adults who are called to strengthen their faith and become confirmed to complete this vocation. The archdiocese manages several Adult Confirmation preparation sites in collaboration with parishes throughout the archdiocese and classes are offered in the spring and fall. The Adult Confirmation Ceremony for Fall 2021 will be offered on December 10th. Preparation sessions in English and Spanish will begin in October 2021. Please contact Maria Palafox for details at [email protected].
As you prepare for Confirmation, we encourage you to:
- Schedule a meeting with your pastor and parish catechetical leader. At the meeting, share your faith decision for receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation and discuss what sacramental preparation class offering options may be best for you. This is also a graced moment to become better acquainted with the parish faith community and ask about how you can share the gifts God has given to you.
- Reflect on how you may renew your faith life.
- Obtain spiritual direction and understanding.
- Take time each day for prayer.
- Embrace the Sunday Liturgy with your family and friends.
- Think through how you will further develop your relationship with Jesus and the Catholic Church and how the parish and archdiocese can better serve your faith formation needs.